Sunday 2 December 2012

Mini Aussie-style Meat Pies

On Christmas Eve this year, we are having a drinks and canapés party with my other half's family. We've been racking our brains as to what to make, so DH had the idea that we should make mini pies. He knows I love them, being an Aussie. Every time we go home to visit, there are certain foods we seek out - meat pies being one of them. Australians take their meat pies seriously. They come in a range of flavours, use different meats and the ingredients are usually of a very high quality.  So, I'm being genuine when I say these were amazing.

Firstly, he slow cooked diced casserole beef in a saucepan on a low heat with onions, herbs, pancetta, worcester sauce, beef stock, bay leaves and red wine - for about 6 hours.  Then he used store bought pastry and made them, cooking them for 20 minutes at 180 degrees (fan oven).

Wife rating: A homesickness busting 10/10.


1 comment:

  1. Only ten out of ten? Seriously, I suppose the lids did separate and I should really have made my own pastry too.

    Glad you enjoyed them. There's another batch in the oven.

    ReplyDelete