Monday 23 July 2012

Turkish Sausage Rolls

I buy food magazines a lot. Whenever I go home to Australia to visit, I inevitably come back to the UK with many, many pages joyously ripped out and then stuffed in a corner of my over-full bag.

Last time I was there, I ripped out this Turkish Sausage Rolls recipe from Australian Delicious magazine. This weekend, I finally got around to making it. M was very happy with the results, and is gleefully taking these to work as snacks. Me on the other hand, well, I wasn't entirely happy with them. The meat was too hard for my liking probably because I'm used to traditional pork sausage rolls. If I make them again, I think I'll add some milk soaked bread to soften them up, as well as using fresh oregano and mint.

What I absolutely loved, was the Sumac. What a revelation. It is now officially my favourite spice. It tastes fantastic on everything, especially tomatoes.  I'll definitely be using it in as many things as possible until I get sick of it!

Turkish Sausage Rolls


Turkish Sausage Rolls - from Australian Delicious Magazine
500g lean lamb mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp dried oregano
2 sheets puff pastry
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp sumac
Pomegranate molasses, for drizzling

Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Combine lamb, garlic, spices and herbs in a bowl and season.

Press the pastry sheets together to form a long sheet, then halve lengthways.

Divide filling between the pastry, shaping it into a log along one side.

Roll up to form a roll, brush pastry edge with water and press to seal. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sumac (lots of it!).

Place, seam-side down, on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.

Drizzle molasses over sausage rolls and slice, then serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment